Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Two movies

Hello, family! I wanted to write a quick post about two movies I recently watched via this brand new cool movie renting service--Red Box. Everyone under age 35 is probably laughing now. Perhaps everyone over age 35 is as well, however, Ian recently introduced me to Red Box and there's one nearby in our little town of Philomath. (If you don't know what Red Box is, you can go online and search for a movie you want to rent, then drive somewhere close, swipe your debit or credit card, and for $1.20 it will pop out your selected movie). Keep it as long as you wish for $1.20 per day. Our Red Boxes are located at Circle K's and McDonald's. But, go on line, and you can find the ones closest to you.

I have digressed. Two movies I have recently enjoyed are 50/50, which is based upon a true story, and Moneyball. You've probably already seen them. But, if not, they're worth a view. I first heard the writer of 50/50 (the fictionalized protagonist) on Fresh Air. The interview was excellent, and I have always enjoyed Joseph Gordon-Levitt, so this was an easy choice for me. The movie loosely outlines a few years in Will Reiser's life, when he was diagnosed with cancer as a young man, and all of the joys and foibles that went along with it. I recommend this as not the best movie I have ever seen, but one that I enjoyed.

If you have not already seen Moneyball, I really enjoyed this one. It's another baseball movie....I know. But, it's far from "Field of Dreams." Again, this is based upon a true story...Billy Beane, general manager of the Oakland A's, trying to compete against teams with much larger budgets for players' salaries. They lose all their best players to teams like the Yankees, with so many more dollars to spend. This is also based upon a true story, and again, I heard the writer interviewed on Fresh Air before I knew this movie existed. I may pick up the book, (Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game).

What movies do you have to recommend?

1 comment:

  1. We liked Moneyball, too. And I really thought The Descendents was excellent. The movie we're most looking forward to is The Hunger Games! Comes out on March 23. But you MUST read the book first!

    We, however, are not Redbox people. We found out the hard way when we kept forgetting to return the movie and ended up paying $14 to rent it. Boo! Netflix and Netflix streaming are the way for us.

    ReplyDelete